Friday, April 10, 2009

Is it Just Me?

Is it just me or are some people dumber than the law should allow for no good reason? Sorry to come of so harsh, but seriously... I wonder that sometimes. Really, I dont have a problem with people not knowing something or not fully understanding something, but I hate it when people have no understanding AND they have an attitude. You may see me talk a lot about attitude because I just do not see why people are so rude sometimes. Anyway - let me give you an example. I get some crazy calls at work sometimes and I love to share the stories. I work for an electric company and my department deals with power outages. OK... a guy called and wanted to know if we had an outage at a specific intersection one night. I checked our records and did not see any outages for that area. When I told him that, he got even more rude than he already had been and pretty much told me I had no idea what I was talking about. He insisted that there was an outage to the red light there. He said he sat at the red light for a long time and when he finally decided he had waited long enough, he went through the light and was pulled over and given a ticket. He wanted a letter from us saying we had an outage there that affected the red light. (Does this make sense at all?) So my question to him was "So the light was working?" And he got loud and said "YES! It was working but it wasnt working!! It was red and did not turn green! Can you not hear me? Now I have a ticket because of you and I want a letter! Do you know how to type? Or do you just get paid to sit there and piss people off all day?" So I so politely explained to him that if there was no power going to the light then the light woul not be lit up at all. No red. No yellow. No green. Just nothing. I tried my best to make him understand that all we do is supply power to the light, we dont have anything to do with how long it takes for the light to change. He asked to speak to my supervisor. I usually do not like to transfer calls to my supervisor because he has enough to do and I felt like I could handle it. But by the 3rd time that I tried to explain something so logical and the 4th time that he called me a few words and said he wanted to "talk to someone with some common sense" I saw my boss coming and told him he had a good one waiting to talk to him. After watching my boss sit in silence for a little while he said, "So the light was working?"

4 comments:

  1. Well, of course it was your fault - it couldn't have been his, could it???
    I once worked in a government dept. and had to deal with lots of complaints. I was taught that the best way of dealing with them was to be very polite and agree with the caller.
    'I'm sorry, Sir, but that is the law. Yes, you're right the law needs to be changed. Have you contacted your Member of Parliament? Would you like me to give you his address?'
    But some people just don't want to listen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, that reminds me of my time in a call centre. I have a few good stories in my sleeve. Do you have those who start their call with: I'M HARD OF HEARING....!!! and you feel like it's you who's going to be deaf by the end of the conversation wishing they rather wrote a letter?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked with the public a number of years and totally understand the useless of trying to explain something to someone who isn't listening. They are out there, lots of them.
    SQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hope your surgery went well. When you've got time, you'll find an award waiting for you on my blog.

    ReplyDelete